Friday, August 1, 2008

What's in a Name?

Well my friends, I've changed my blog from CrazeeRants to ItzaCrazzeeWorld. I know, you're probably thinking, "why would he mess with an established brand like that?" I confess- I have similar thoughts. You don't see Nike changing their name or signature "swoosh" logo. Nor will you see Coke messing around with their brand. You old timers may remember the "New Coke" fiasco about 30 years ago when Coke tried to get steal Pepsi market share by introducing New Coke which was supposed to make original Coke go the way of the horse and buggy. Let's just say that decision fizzled.

Despite the risks, I'm compelled to change my blog name for a very simple reason. I can't keep track of all the passwords associated with all my different accounts. So, call it sku rationalization or whatever, but CrazzeeRants is gone. The New and Improve Itza Crazzee World promises great...uh...good...er, well, it'll just be there.

While we're on the subject of names, I was thinking about titles and how some professions attach titles in front of their names to make the owners seem more important- you know, Dr. Smith, Dr. Jones...etc. I don't know why they get that distinction. Maybe it's because they went to school for eight years. Heck, if that's the case, I should be a doctor too! Dr. Rice, majoring in Beerology, with a minors in Hops and Barley.

Pilots are afforded the same distinction as doctors. They're called "Captain" wherever they go, except when their off duty. Then you can just call them sir.

Priests are called, "Father" which is pretty ironic considering their vows of celibacy. Of course, that's only for Catholics. Other denominations have titles like Reverend. The one I like is Brother. Sounds really comforting and non-threatening. I'd much rather say a confession in front of a Brother than a Father. Fathers might send you to your room without supper!

The one that really slays me is Chef. There's Chef William (not Bill), Chef Pierre, Chef Marco. What the heck did these guys do to warrant getting a title in front of their names? O.K., so they can make a fabulous crepes suzette, but c'mon, you don't see the the head cook at Denny's calling himself Chef Jose?

Of course, in this hyper-sensitive culture of ours where we have to make everyone feel "included" and "special", I think it's only fair that we all have titles. Otherwise someone's feelings might get hurt. So, please, from now on, call me Sir James.

No comments: