Sunday, August 24, 2008

Reflections on Beijing

Well, The Olympics are finally over and we can all get on with our lives. After 2 weeks of the ABC network broadcast - the All Bob Costas network, that is, I'm ready to devote my TV time to something else. I think a new season of the Biggest Loser starts soon! That should help sharpen my intellectual-ness or something.

I just want to jot down a few Olympian thoughts while they're still relatively fresh in my mind. Here in no particular order, are my Top Ten:
  1. The Commies put on a good show- a great show, really. It's amazing how Chinese artistry and industry can be enter twined. Too bad it comes at the end of a bayonet. Pity the poor Londoners in 2012. How do they follow Beijing?
  2. Michael Phelps gets the best of both worlds- 8 Gold Medals, a ton of product endorsements, and relative obscurity. Sure, he's got the most gold medals of anyone in Olympic history, but he'll still be able to live a fairly normal life. Let's face it, nobody really cares about swimming outside The Olympics (unless you're drowning- then it becomes important.)
  3. Usain Bolt is fast- really, really fast. Let's hope we don't find out in two weeks that he's been blood doping. If that happens, let me go on record to say I'll never watch The Olympics again.
  4. Speaking of Bolt- what do the American sprinters do now? After getting thrashed by Bolt in the 100 and 200, the Americans looked dazed and confused. Don't be surprised if you see U.S. sprinters Walter Dix and Tyrone Gay driving UPS trucks by next week.
  5. Were the female Chinese gymnasts wearing Garanimals matching outfits? I swear one of them had on a Ling-Ling panda top-and-bottom set. With footsies. They should've had Barnie present them with their gold medals.
  6. Did I mention I'm tired of Bob Costas? Let's hope he only comes around every four years too.
  7. Badminton is not a sport. I don't care how you spin it. What's next? Tetherball? Jacks?
  8. Same thing with Ping Pong, er, table tennis. Changing the name doesn't make it a sport either.
  9. Did you see the Tae Kwon Do referee get kicked in the fact after disqualifying a contestant? No kidding. A Cuban athlete who got DQ'd, was so upset with the ref's decison, he kicked the guy right in the face in front of a billion or so people. Not a good career move. I wonder if Fidel will have him executed. On second thought, he'll probably be living in Miami by next week.
  10. There is life beyond archery, BMX bike racing, and beach volleyball. Let's get on with it.

No comments: