Thursday, September 4, 2008

Marlins Draw 600 Fans

Okay, I'm not a baseball fan to the extent that I check out every box score daily, but I couldn't help but notice that yesterday's game between the Florida Marlins and the Atlanta Braves only drew 600 fans. That's right- 600, not 6,000!

Granted, it was a day game played by two teams who are not going to make the playoffs, plus it was 90 degrees out, but are you kidding me? 600 fans? That's pathetic. I think I had more people at my wedding....well, close.

I guess Dolphin Stadium where the Marlins play was so empty that the few fans that were there could hear all the on-field chatter between the players. I can imagine the conversation on first base between Atlanta's Kelly Johnson, who singled in the 8th, and Marlin's first baseman Wes Helms.

Helms: Nice hit, man.
Johnson: Thanks. Uh, you guys got a pretty big crowd today.

Helms: It's 'cuz we're playing you.
Johnson: Yeah right. You guys never draw a crowd no matter who it is.

Helms: Not true. We average almost 15,ooo fans a game.
Johnson: Dude, I've seen minor league teams that average that many fans. In fact, I've been to birthday parties with more people than this.

Helms: Speaking of birthday parties, did you know Luis Gonzales' birthday is today? He's 41.
Johnson: Do you think all these people came out for his birthday party instead of the game? Where's the cake?

Helms: Bite me!

Hard to believe that a team that's won a World Series can only draw 600 fans. Maybe everyone was evacuating in advance of Hurricane Ike. Or maybe Florida needs a new stadium. Yeah, a nice, new, taxpayer-funded stadium, then the fans will roll in. Build it and they will come.

No comments: